Monday, October 18, 2010

IBC Letdown

So I got IBC Letdown today. Lots of great things happened yesterday. We really brought it and we melted some faces. We played a killer set. And it was close, very very close. The judges took forever to tally the scores: like over 20 min. It was then that I began to worry, b/c everyone kinda knew it would be between us and this one other band, led by a guy who's been in the music biz for over 30 yrs. But when it was announced, we were 1st runners up, so we came in 2nd. An extremely close 2nd, from all accounts. So that's a good sign. Also that hell, we've only been together just under a year, and Mr. IBC Winner's been doing this for decades! Good sign for us! We really showed the Houston blues world that we are CONTENDERS, baby!!! (BTW Mr. IBC Winner was 2nd back in 2007 when he made an attempt then.)

Yet I still can't quit the second guessing and replaying today. I'm bummed and I know it'll pass soon... but I still can't help but question certain things yesterday, including the shit that is completely out of my control. For example, of the 6 judges, only 2 were musicians?!? (A drummer and a sax player.) For real?!?! Seriously?!? WTF is that all about??? (Another was a singer but I've never counted singers as musicians, ha ha.) And one was a radio DJ and one was a friggin attorney, no joke! An attorney who produced a harmonica documentary, but still! The last one was a producer from a local recording studio. Anyway... One of these days I'm gwine get the nerve to ask the Houston Blues Soc. prez (who is a buddy) why in the hell they got these judges for an International BLUES competition. I guess I would be more at peace with the decision to score us 2nd if the judges were blues musicians of the highest caliber or at least some blues friggin' experts. Then I would respect the decision, 100%.

Regardless, it was a good experience and we had a lot of fun during this whole IBC process. Maybe we even gained some fans too, who knows? There was a community table where all the bands could sell CD's and merch, and apparently we sold 3 CD's and that apparently was 3 more CD's than any of the other bands sold! Leo says we may not even want to do it next year, it'll just depend on where we are in our Leo Trio life and career. And yesterday, bottom line, was fun. I had so many people come out, I couldn't believe it. My dad's 2 cousins came out w/my aunt and uncle. My old college benefactor came out w/his wife and son. L and her sister came out. Phillipo of course. My dad and his ex-girlfriend. My li'l bro was my escort/bodyguard. Stefano was there all day, natch. And the place was packed and we played for an elbow-to-elbow crowd which is always so much fun. So, que sera, sera. Now we move on to our next endeavor/success, whatever that may be!

Sigh. I'll get over these blues in a day or so. It's also just plain ol' letdown, after building up and up to something and then it's just OVER. Like post-wedding day letdown, post vacation letdown, etc. That kinda thing. We rehearse as usual this Weds. for our upcoming gig on Saturday. But tonight, I'm gwine go do a little shopping at Target after work, then try not to think about music for a couple of days. But when I come back to it... it'll be bigger and better than ever. I'm sure of it.

No comments: